Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Zion National Park

I know I should have posted this last Wed. but I was just being lazy and didn't want to it. I also thought I would get a chance to put something down during my down time at work. And as you can tell that didn't happen, and that's a whole other story.

I wouldn't call myself a very spontanous person but last Wed. I felt the need to head out to Zion National Park. It probably one of the best things I have done in a very, very long time. The park is just amazing and is so beautiful that it is hard to articulate. When I look at the park and I can imagine all types of Dinosaurs roaming around and being dwarf by this enchanting place. Didn't plan on doing anything in particular, just got there and just picked things at random. I probably should have looked at some of it though, I went on the Hidden Valley trail and boy did that kick my butt. It is nothing but switch backs and has an elevation increase of about 800+ feet in about a mile. It would have been a lot better if I was in better shape.The trail gave some very spectacular views, narrow ledges, and steep drop offs. 






This picture doesn't give it real justice but if you are afraid of height's this might not be the one for you.



This was one very narrow and intimidating sections. There were some that were worse, but at the time taking a picture wasn't really high on my list of things to do.





After getting to the top there was another section that you could go on but it recquired you to climb over a boulder. I was pretty darn tired and felt like this would be a good place to have a bit of snack and save the rest as insperation to the the trail again another day.





Met a pretty cool guy on the way down, who took this picture for me. He was passing through from Colorado to start his last semester of school out in Cali. I don't know if you could really tell but one those stairs are very narrow and pretty steep. To stay on the stairs you pretty much have to keep your shoulders up against the side of the wall.






After the trek back down I jumped back on the shuttle and took it to the last stop, don't remember the name of it but it was a nice chill walk. It was paved the whole was unless you wanted to get close to the Virgin River. It is again really amazing at all the diversity in the park. Down along the river it just gives you this whole other feel, some parts are even considered a swamp.





Just so many things to do and see in Zion that you could spend 3 days just doing the tourist thing. I am really looking forward to getting back there. It would be great to camp and take in some of the late night activity that they have going on.  On that note I'm out.
                                        

No comments:

Post a Comment