Friday, August 27, 2010

Catching up

It's been a crazy few weeks for me. Jonathan has gone to Orem, and I have been driving up every other week so far. The week before I drove up to take a Defensive Handgun course, and while I was up there I got a chance to go to Lagoon with Ed, Tiff, and all the boys.


Lagoon was so much fun. For those that don't live in the area Lagoon is an amusement park with some water rides and a huge pool. I'm normally one that you would never find at an amusement park with, well not one doing the rides. I would be watching kids and the bags. Not very fun for me in the past. I made up mind this time around that now matter what I was going to do some roller coasters. It had been 30yrs since my last time I had been on a coaster, and now I can say that I have broken my fear of them. I had a complete blast, and they were so much fun. I was great amusement for Ed and Tiff while on the ride grunting and groaning. I told them both I was going to work my way up to the big coasters, so started on a little kiddy coaster and did good. Then Tiff begged me to go on this one ride with her and said that it wasn't  that bad, but after standing in line for a bit I could get a glimpse of it. DAMN THING WENT STRAIGHT UP AND STRAIGHT DOWN! I really nervous for that ride. There was no way that I was going to back out, one cuz I told myself I was doing them and two the EJ and Zach were going on it as well. They did just awesome on the rides. I was so proud of them. When the ride ended I thought Tiff was going to pee her pants because she was laughing at me so hard. I'll get her back! The whole day was a blast and did a ton of different rides. It was nice that they had a few water rides there as well. Standing in the lines and walking around during the mid day was getting pretty darn warm. Once again my Keen sandals help up like a champ, with the water and all the walking. Two thumbs up. Now I have to see if they get stinky because of all that water.
I could not imagine any better way to really say goodbye to Jonathan than doing the park and him hanging out with his cousins.


The Defensive Handgun Course was top notch. Some of it was a reinforcement of what I already new, but its always good to go over the basics again. The best part of the class was doing the different scenarios that you might find yourself in real life and how you would react. To include getting the feedback from Jager/David and Bravo/John. The longer I look back at the feedback and go over the drills the more I take away from it. In Utah you don't even have to own a gun to get your concealed weapons permit, so starting off with this under your belt would be a great asset. You can always talk the talk, but its not until you really find yourself in that situation do you know what your going to do under stress. For Ops Gear, http://www.opsgear.com/, that is their entire mission at the Urban Warfare Center, http://www.urbanwarfarecenter.com/. I am really looking forward to doing another class taught by Jager and Bravo. Another part of their philosophy that I liked was that was always about breaking contact as much as possible. I have looked at other instructors and schools and I can't tell you how little I heard that statement. Using your firearm is always your last resort, even at that point, its stop the threat and break contact. Again it was great class. Oh and if  Jager tells you to stop you really ought to do just that. He asked me to come at him to demonstrate using your voice to help deter people coming at you. I however didn't stop, so he pulled his training knife, rubber, and stabbed me in the belly. Had it not been a training environment i'm pretty sure I would have stopped. Didn't mean to hit me that hard, however he got well enough to leave a good bruise that is still healing. Doesn't help that I have budda belly! LOL. Thanks Jager for pain reinforcement. Next time I WIL stop!

I got more news, but I'm waiting to post when I know more and can share more.

No comments:

Post a Comment